About the WHF Foundation
The WHF Foundation is comprised of members of Women in Housing & Finance, Inc., an organization of professionals in the fields of housing and finance, who dedicate their resources and knowledge to help women and their families in the Washington, DC metropolitan area by providing charitable services and educational activities primarily in the fields of housing and finance.
In September 1997, WHF launched the WHF Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization to:
- Develop personal finance counseling programs to enhance the financial literacy of low-income women or other at-risk individuals;
- Provide partnership grants to organizations that provide services to women and their families in the Washington, DC area; and
- Create a scholarship program for women students interested in the fields of housing and finance.
Since its inception in 1997, WHF Foundation has contributed over $550,000 to local organizations through more than 125 grants, conducted more than 230 financial literacy sessions and provided $18,000 in student scholarships.
Recent WHF Foundation Events
- WHF's 30th anniversary dinner raised over $18,000 for the WHF Foundation.
- To commemorate the WHF Foundation 10th anniversary, 10th Anniversary Expo and Celebration of Financial Literacy was held on September 16, 2008. The event honored the co-chairs of the Congressional Financial and Economic Literacy Caucus and raised $26,000 for the WHF Foundation.
- In April 2008, WHF and the WHF Foundation welcomed personal finance expert Jean Chatzky to an evening reception with our members. Jean Chatzky, award-winning journalist, best-selling author and motivational speaker has created a global platform that is making significant strides in helping millions of men and women battle an epidemic with a devastating impact — debt. Jean is the financial editor for the NBC Today Show, a contributing editor for Money magazine, a columnist for The New York Daily News, a contributor to The Oprah Winfrey Show and a featured money coach on Oprah's "Debt Diet" series. She also hosts a daily show on the Oprah & Friends channel.
- Fundraising reception saluting Chairman Oxley on October 3, 2006, raised more than $35,000 to support our partnership grants program.
- WHF's 25 year anniversary dinner raised over $ 48,000 for the WHF Foundation.
- Other events included: a book event and signing with author Margaret George, evening wine tastings, and a“non-event” campaign effort.